[Phpmyadmin-devel] submitting error reports automatically

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Fri Jun 21 20:31:23 CEST 2013

On 06/21/2013 06:03 PM, Mohamed Ashraf wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Rouslan Placella <rouslan at placella.com> wrote:
>> On 06/21/2013 12:26 PM, Mohamed Ashraf wrote:
>>> Should I allow the user to submit error reports automatically without
>>> looking or adding his description to the events that lead to the error
>>> page. Currently I have two options for sending error reports. one is
>>> never send error report and the second is always ask to send. in the
>>> project description you wanted a third option to automatically send an
>>> error report. should I allow this option given that the user will not
>>> have the ability to add steps to reproduce the error to the report?
>>
>> Yes, I believe that this would be useful for lazy people that otherwise
>> would just turn the feature off. We would still get some info and some
>> statistics of how often people are experiencing a certain error.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Rouslan
>
> the problem now is interface clutter I don't know where to put the
> different options. currently the settings are available in user
> preferences  to either always send, never send and always ask with the
> default to always ask. however let us consider that the user is using
> the default value of always ask. when the small error notification
> appears he may want to do any of the multiple options outlined below
> - see the report and add steps leading to the report before sending it
> - send the report without looking at it
> - ignore the error report
>
> and also somewhere I have to give him the option to always send error
> reports without asking or to never do that. where should these be
> placed in the current scenario given that I do not want to have 5
> buttons or checkboxes on the small error notification.

Well, there are more than a few ways to skin this cat. Here's my idea of
how we could handle it. Let's start with easy stuff. The "ignore the
error" part could be just a small "X" at the edge of the notification.
Then we could give the user a button to submit the error report, which
would then bring up a dialog with the contents of the report and an
optional extra information field. And we could have a third button to
adjust the error reporting settings. Does this sounds good enough or am
I missing something?

Bye,
Rouslan