[Phpmyadmin-devel] Automatic testing

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 10:43:17 CET 2013

2013/3/29 adam <adamgsoc2013 at gmail.com>:
> Hi,

Firstly, we use bottom-posting on this mailing list. [2]

> I have a question about current Automatic testing process.
> When one guy finished a piece of code on the library folder about the
> Backend logic.
>
> Should he follows some instructions before check in code besides
> Code-review?
> 1.  UT implementation
> 2.  Regression --> this will be checked by CI Job
> 3.  running regression and UT on his dev box?

What do you mean by regression tests? How are they different from unit tests?
The process you describe sounds reasonable. If you rearrange the order
a bit, and add codechecking to your process, you are on your way of
writing good code (see below for suggestions)

> In my mind, the fomal processes should be:
1. add UT code

(TDD [0] principle, write tests first, then start implementing the class/method)

2.  add logic code

> 3. test on dev box
> 4. run UT & regression test on dev box
> 5. code review after pass 1-4

-> check coding style compliance, with PHP_CodeSniffer and fix the
reported issues.
You can run Jenkins on your own box, or execute `phpcs filename` on
the command line, more info on setting up Jenkins [1]

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test-driven_development
[1] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Jenkins_Setup
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting

--