[Phpmyadmin-devel] dilemma about cookies

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Sat May 25 15:09:07 CEST 2013

Hi,

in AuthenticationCookie.class.php we verify whether $_COOKIE is empty,
because at this point we have sent some cookies. The goal is to warn
users about their browser not accepting cookies.

However, it's too early to do this verification, because "Once the
cookies have been set, they can be accessed on the next page load with
the $_COOKIE" (PHP manual).

We are not yet at the next page load. The result is that all browsers,
correctly set to accept cookies, when running phpMyAdmin for the first
time, show the "Cookies must be enabled past this point" message,
alerting users for nothing.

Maybe we could force a page reload after the initial cookies sending,
but I'm not sure it's a good solution.

I suggest to
- remove this verification
- in the "Cannot start session without errors" message (which can be
caused by a browser not accepting cookies), add a hint that not
accepting cookies is a possible cause

Comments?