[Phpmyadmin-devel] Minimum MySQL version

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Thu Oct 24 14:15:48 CEST 2013

Hi,
I would really appreciate replies on this one.

For the upcoming phpMyAdmin 4.1, we currently advertise the minimum
MySQL version to 5 (meaning 5.0). However, MySQL 5.0 has reached "End of
Product Lifecycle".

Moreover, we have a performance problem in phpMyAdmin 4.0 and 4.1, due
to the navi panel mostly using INFORMATION_SCHEMA, which is poorly
implemented in older MySQL versions. This performance problem is seen on
servers with many (thousands?) of databases, which is not uncommon for
host providers. We have bug tickets about this.

By the way, using INFORMATION_SCHEMA helps us for some features like the
db filter (now with REGEX). I'm not sure how we could implement this
efficiently with SHOW DATABASES.

I would like to increase the minimum MySQL version for phpMyAdmin 4.1. I
got feedback from someone I trust, who is running MySQL 5.6 with
thousands of real-world databases and did some tests; on this version,
INFORMATION_SCHEMA performs ok.

If the team agrees, I would do some testing to find out at which point
INFORMATION_SCHEMA's fetch problems were fixed. Then we would advertise
this MySQL version as the minimum, and use only INFORMATION_SCHEMA in it
(no more SHOW DATABASES).

I believe that this is a good service to do to the community; it
resembles what we did when taking part in the GoPHP5 initiative.