[Phpmyadmin-devel] Minimum MySQL version

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Thu Oct 24 15:48:33 CEST 2013

Hi

Dne Thu, 24 Oct 2013 08:15:48 -0400
Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):

> For the upcoming phpMyAdmin 4.1, we currently advertise the minimum
> MySQL version to 5 (meaning 5.0). However, MySQL 5.0 has reached "End of
> Product Lifecycle".
>
> Moreover, we have a performance problem in phpMyAdmin 4.0 and 4.1, due
> to the navi panel mostly using INFORMATION_SCHEMA, which is poorly
> implemented in older MySQL versions. This performance problem is seen on
> servers with many (thousands?) of databases, which is not uncommon for
> host providers. We have bug tickets about this.
>
> By the way, using INFORMATION_SCHEMA helps us for some features like the
> db filter (now with REGEX). I'm not sure how we could implement this
> efficiently with SHOW DATABASES.
>
> I would like to increase the minimum MySQL version for phpMyAdmin 4.1. I
> got feedback from someone I trust, who is running MySQL 5.6 with
> thousands of real-world databases and did some tests; on this version,
> INFORMATION_SCHEMA performs ok.

When trying to google this, I've found following hint on improving IS
performance, have we tried to use that?

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2011/12/23/solving-information_schema-slowness/

> If the team agrees, I would do some testing to find out at which point
> INFORMATION_SCHEMA's fetch problems were fixed. Then we would advertise
> this MySQL version as the minimum, and use only INFORMATION_SCHEMA in it
> (no more SHOW DATABASES).

Makes sense (and we could then also drop DisableIS configuration...).

--
	Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://phpmyadmin.net