[Phpmyadmin-devel] Contribution newbie

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 18:54:59 CEST 2013

Hi Alicia,

On 9/1/13 12:04 PM, alicjalicia . wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a school project where I'm asked to contribute to any open source
> project. Since I'm using phpMyAdmin myself and I'm big fan of it I would
> love to ask you if you could help me find ways in which I could
> contribute to this project. My current skills include html5, css3,
> jQuery, java, c#, php. I'm not proficient in these languages but I'm
> eager to learn. I could as well contribute by improving existing designs
> or changing some UI components.
>
> I'm very new to this, I would appreciate a lot if you could give me
> guidance on how to start small contributions. Any links or suggestions
> will be very helpful.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Regards,
>
> Alicja

Welcome! We have a wiki page [1] which lists a few suggestions, but a
better place to look might be the bug tracker [2] or feature request
tracker [3]. Of course, it depends on your experience level and amount
of time you're interested in investing.

In general, we use git [4] for storing the source code and submitting
pull requests through GitHub. Actually, you may wish to refer to the
GSoC guide [5] as that has much information about contributing.

You mention a few technologies which we do use and quite a few that we
don't (for instance, C# and Java); hopefully working with some of them
will still satisfy your course requirements. How much work are you
expected to contribute?

The general path is to get the source code (generally by cloning the git
repository), pick something to work on, and then send those changes to
us (usually through a GitHub pull request).

Part of many Open Source projects is communication, and we in particular
really try to have full and open communication here on the mailing list,
so once you pick something to work on I'd suggest mentioning it here
before getting started.

Regards and good luck
~isaac

1 - http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Junior