[Phpmyadmin-devel] Remembering sorting order

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Sun Feb 2 14:16:02 CET 2014

Le 2014-02-02 06:11, Madhura Jayaratne a écrit :
> Hi devs,
>
> We currently have a feature to remember the sorting order of a table. It
> was implemented in such a way that remembered sorting would be applied
> both when the user is browsing the table as well as executing a select
> statement on the table without specifying some other sorting order.
>
> However it is unclear whether this is the expected behavior from the
> discussion at [1]. So I would like to know your opinion on whether we
> should keep the current behavior or should the remembered sorting order
> be applied only when browsing. My personal opinion is, it should be
> limited to just browsing.
>
> If we decide to change the behavior, should it go to next major release
> or next bug fix release?
>
> [1] http://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/bugs/4245/?page=1
>
> --
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Madhura Jayaratne

Well, the feature is called "Remember table sorting" and does not
specify for how long to remember. I can see good arguments for both
sides of the interpretation.

Even when entering manually a SELECT, the interpretation of wanting the
last order can be defendable (for some users).

Maybe what we need is this: when using a remembered sort order, display
also a link that would make phpMyAdmin forget the sort order.

http://infomarc.info | http://phpmyadmin.net