[Phpmyadmin-devel] RFE #1488, #781 User privilege tab not shown in all relevant cases

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 15:45:51 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Chirayu Chiripal
<chirayu.chiripal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:21 AM, Chirayu Chiripal
>> <chirayu.chiripal at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > From the discussion on RFE #781, it seems that without having select
>> > access
>> > to mysql database the user having only GRANT or CREATE USER rights
>> > cannot
>> > see the list of users. So, what do you think should to be displayed in
>> > Users
>> > tab, only create user?
>>
>> This seems good to me.
>

> And what if user is having only GRANT privileges?

If I correctly understand the MySQL privilege structure, what you're
referring to is
a situation where a user would be allowed to change privileges but
can't see the list
of other users. Obviously, that makes it difficult to provide a GUI
for those users :)

If I'm correct, there's no way to deal with this. The best I think we
can do is provide
some text ("You have the GRANT_OPTION privilege but not SELECT on the mysql
database. We are unable to show the list of users, but you can still
write SQL directly."
with a link to the MySQL documentation, perhaps). That's the best idea
I can come up
with off hand.

Of course, I've been interrupted five times writing these two
paragraphs, so I may be
answering a completely different question at this point...