[Phpmyadmin-devel] RFE #1488, #781 User privilege tab not shown in all relevant cases

Chirayu Chiripal chirayu.chiripal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 22:10:55 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Chirayu Chiripal
> <chirayu.chiripal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> This seems good to me.
> >

> > And what if user is having only GRANT privileges?
>
> If I correctly understand the MySQL privilege structure, what you're
> referring to is
> a situation where a user would be allowed to change privileges but
> can't see the list
> of other users. Obviously, that makes it difficult to provide a GUI
> for those users :)

Its not only about list of other users, we can't also see what privileges
they have. Actually, I maybe wrong with this assumption but I can't see use
of such user (having GRANT_OPTION privilege but no SELECT on mysql
database) in practical but this may happen accidentally.

> If I'm correct, there's no way to deal with this. The best I think we
> can do is provide
> some text ("You have the GRANT_OPTION privilege but not SELECT on the mysql
> database. We are unable to show the list of users, but you can still
> write SQL directly."
> with a link to the MySQL documentation, perhaps). That's the best idea
> I can come up
> with off hand.

This seems good to me too.