[Phpmyadmin-devel] RFE #919

Ashutosh Dhundhara ashutoshdhundhara at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 19:18:39 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:

> Le 2014-07-24 06:01, Ashutosh Dhundhara a écrit :
> > On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info
> > <mailto:marc at infomarc.info>> wrote:
> >
> >     Le 2014-07-23 22:39, Hugues Peccatte a écrit :
> >     > 2014-07-23 20:22 GMT+02:00 Ashutosh Dhundhara
> >     > <ashutoshdhundhara at yahoo.com <mailto:ashutoshdhundhara at yahoo.com>
> >     <mailto:ashutoshdhundhara at yahoo.com
> >     <mailto:ashutoshdhundhara at yahoo.com>>>:
> >     >
> >     >     Hi,
> >     >
> >     >     This is in regards with RFE #919
> >     >     <http://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/919/>
> >     (Multiple-column
> >     >     foreign key relation). I was trying to figure out the UI for
> >     this by
> >     >     modifying the existing one. I have attached a screenshot for
> >     the same.
> >     >     Please comment.
> >     >
> >     >     --
> >     >     Ashutosh Dhundhara
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Hi,
> >     >
> >     > This is nice.
> >     > IMO the constraint name should be displayed as a title, and not
> >     > displayed in the bottom-right corner, so you will see it easily.
> >     > Maybe, you can reduce table rows height, by displaying the ON
> >     UPDATE and
> >     > DELETE on the same line.
> >     >
> >     > Hugues.
> >
> >     Hi Ashutosh,
> >     somehow I missed your initial email but saw the screenshot in the
> >     archives.
> >
> >     The UI you are proposing does not work, in my opinion. On the left
> side,
> >     you are proposing multiple columns, but the feature request is about
> >     having, on the left side, one column, and on the foreign key
> constraint
> >     side (right), multiple columns.
> >

> > Hi Marc,
> >
> > can you please quote an example of this case?
> >
> > Are you talking about a case like this:
> >
> > Lets say I have two tables `table_1` and `table_2` with two columns `id`
> > and `value`.
> > The query:
> > ALTER TABLE `table_2` ADD FOREIGN KEY (`id`) REFERENCES `table_1` (`id`,
> > `value`);
>
> Hi Ashutosh,
> yes, I was thinking about a case like this but I reverified in
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/create-table-foreign-keys.html
> and it does not look to be possible.
>
> So your UI is correct, in general, except that I suggest that instead of
> numbering the relations (1, 2), you just use some visual divider like a
> horizontal line. Numbering would introduce a doubt about the order of
> the foreign keys, which does not exist (each FK is independent from the
> others).

Yeah, you are right. This looks a bit confusing. I will try some visual
divider.

> I have a few questions about your screenshot:
>
> - Does it represent the case when a user is trying to add constraints to
> table_2 ?

Yes. This represents the case when user is trying to add constraints to
`table_2`.

> - Why did the user match table_1.value for the id column, and table_1.id
> for the value column? Taking the MySQL manual as an example, it's much
> easier to understand this:
>
> FOREIGN KEY (product_category, product_id)
>       REFERENCES product(category, id)

 Yes Marc, your example is relevant. I did this because my table structures
were as follows:

`table_1`
id      : int
value : varchar

`table_2`
id      : varchar
value : int

Thats why table_2.id is compatible with table_1.id.
I will share another improved UI screenshot soon.

--
Ashutosh Dhundhara