[Phpmyadmin-devel] RFE #755: export with table/column name changes

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 16:23:24 CEST 2014

On 6/16/14 9:59 AM, Chirayu Chiripal wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com
> <mailto:bennetch at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     On 6/16/14 8:09 AM, Chirayu Chiripal wrote:
>     > Hello Isaac Sir,
>     >
>     > Please review this branch:
>     https://github.com/D-storm/phpmyadmin/tree/FR-755
>     >
>     > Tasks to be done yet (Will be pushed soon):
>     >
>     > 1) Fix failing test cases and improve test cases.
>
>     Yes, this is quite good but I have a few minor suggestions.
>
>     1) There should be some way to inform the user once they've selected
>     this option. I have a few ideas about this but don't prefer one over the
>     other at the moment.
>
>     What do you think of adding a checkbox in front of the text "Change
>     Database/Table/Column names". When the user clicks the checkbox or the
>     text, the dialog appears; once the dialog is closed the checkbox is
>     checked.
>
>     An alternative is making an icon appear in front of the text (a green
>     checkbox, probably) once the dialog is closed.
>
>     I think it's important to give visual feedback that the feature is going
>     to be active.
>

> I think I'll go with green checkbox.
>

>     2) I suggest adding a "reset" button to the dialog which would clear all
>     values. I also think the upper-right X (close button) should abandon any
>     changes made; right now it saves those changes.
>

> Actually, there is nothing like save here, those input fields (initially
> hidden) are just displayed when dialog opens and hides when dialog
> closes but I'll see how can it be done. Should it reset every field
> i.e. all databases/tables/columns inputs?
> Also, then we should change "close" button to "save & close".

Ah, I see. What does everyone else think -- should we allow the user to
reset to a blank dialog, and if so should it affect only the displayed
table or all tables? I think a button with text "Reset all" that resets
all of the form fields might be the best way here, but of course I'm
open to other suggestions.

"Save and close" was my original thought, but now that I see how the
form works I have doubts (changes are saved immediately rather than when
pressing the "Save and close" button). To me, when I saw "Close" by
itself I wasn't sure if that meant it would accept my changes or discard
them -- but I didn't realize changes are essentially saved immediately.

Here's what I think we should ideally do, without thinking about whether
it's actually possible or easy to accomplish:

* A "Reset all" button that resets all possible rename fields to blank.
* Renaming the "Close" button to "Save and close"
* Removing the upper-right X of the dialog so that we remove the
question about what happens in this case (as a user, I would think it
discards changes without saving; but doing so isn't possible with this
dialog type so I'd rather remove the button entirely)
* Detecting when any value is present in any of the fields and
displaying the green checkbox in those cases; if the user removes all
"renamed" fields so nothing is renamed, the checkbox should disappear.

How does this sound?