[Phpmyadmin-devel] RFE #637 Custom Field Handlers

Chirayu Chiripal chirayu.chiripal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 12:52:34 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Chirayu Chiripal <
chirayu.chiripal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
>
>> Le 2014-06-25 06:23, Chirayu Chiripal a écrit :
>> > Hi,
>> > Feature Request Link:
>> > http://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/637/
>> >
>> > I am bit confused that what does this RFE is all about. Here is my
>> doubt:
>> >
>> > 1] Does this feature requests says that if a field has a "prepend" input
>> > transformation plugin with prepend text as "phpMyAdmin " then on insert
>> > page if someone enters into this field "Bringing MySQL to the web" and
>> > when a row is inserted then it should insert "phpMyAdmin Bringing MySQL
>> > to the web" into the database.
>> >
>> > OR it requires something else?
>>
>> Hi Chirayu,
>> the example you mention is correct, but this feature request is much
>> more than that. Look at the comment from Garvin in the RFE.
>>
>> In reality, we don't have to code a credit card validation, for example;
>> we just have to provide the mechanism by which someone can code their
>> own credit card validation and apply it to the input field.
>>

> In my proposal, I also gave an example of regex validation plugin i.e. if
> some invalid data is inserted then that plugin can replace that invalid
> data with some other value (which would be given in plugin options) and if
> data is valid then it should go as it is. I am not sure about canceling the
> insert with error message right now but it can be done like by setting
> value for invalid data in plugin option as NULL for not null column which
> would automatically fail the insert or in the plugin itself if validation
> fails then it could throw a error and stop the execution of the script
> itself or we can have a boolean & error variable in transformation plugin
> which would be checked before insert/update and take actions likewise.

I saw the Garvin's comment and if someone can elaborate this part:

"Functions defined in those files could apply any
Widget (like FCKEdit, HTMLArea or any custom-made PHP/HTML
function) around/instead of the default htmlareas."

Does it means that it can be used to change the default textarea currently
used in insert/edit page to something else?