[Phpmyadmin-devel] RFE #637 Custom Field Handlers

Chirayu Chiripal chirayu.chiripal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 12:25:39 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:

> Le 2014-06-25 06:23, Chirayu Chiripal a écrit :
> > Hi,
> > Feature Request Link:
> > http://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/637/
> >
> > I am bit confused that what does this RFE is all about. Here is my doubt:
> >
> > 1] Does this feature requests says that if a field has a "prepend" input
> > transformation plugin with prepend text as "phpMyAdmin " then on insert
> > page if someone enters into this field "Bringing MySQL to the web" and
> > when a row is inserted then it should insert "phpMyAdmin Bringing MySQL
> > to the web" into the database.
> >
> > OR it requires something else?
>
> Hi Chirayu,
> the example you mention is correct, but this feature request is much
> more than that. Look at the comment from Garvin in the RFE.
>
> In reality, we don't have to code a credit card validation, for example;
> we just have to provide the mechanism by which someone can code their
> own credit card validation and apply it to the input field.

In my proposal, I also gave an example of regex validation plugin i.e. if
some invalid data is inserted then that plugin can replace that invalid
data with some other value (which would be given in plugin options) and if
data is valid then it should go as it is. I am not sure about canceling the
insert with error message right now but it can be done like by setting
value for invalid data in plugin option as NULL for not null column which
would automatically fail the insert or in the plugin itself if validation
fails then it could throw a error and stop the execution of the script
itself or we can have a boolean & error variable in transformation plugin
which would be checked before insert/update and take actions likewise.

--
Regards,
Chirayu Chiripal