[Phpmyadmin-devel] New feature: Load/save Query-By-Example

Hugues Peccatte hugues.peccatte at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 18:47:41 CET 2014

> On 2/28/14 7:52 AM, Marc Delisle wrote:
> > Hugues Peccatte a écrit :
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> I just implemented the new feature "Load/save Query-By-Example" (see
> ticket
> >> https://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/569/ and pull
> request
> >> https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/958).
> >>
> >> In the UI interface, I used the terms "New search" and "Saved searches".
> >> Marc proposed to use the terms "New search definition" and "Saved search
> >> definitions".
> >>
> >> Which one do you prefer? Which one is the more understandable for an
> >> english people? Do you have another interesting proposal?
> >>
> >> Thanks for your feedback.
> >>
> >> Hugues.
> >
> > Hi,
> > it could also be "New search bookmark", "Saved search bookmarks", ...
>
> Of the three choices proposed, I most prefer "New search bookmark" and
> "Saved search bookmarks". Using the word "query" instead of "search"
> also fits nicely.

In SQL tab, there is a text "Bookmark this SQL query". Couldn't it lead to
confusion?
I agree with "search bookmark". So I'll change this.

> A few things I noticed while testing this feature:
>
> 1) When attempting to save a bookmark without providing a name, instead
> of "Missing information to save the search." we should be more specific
> and instead say "Please provide a name for this bookmarked query."

I agree. I'll try to implement this.

> In an ideal world, IMO, the proper field should then get focus and have
> a light red background until the user starts to type. I don't believe we
> do that anywhere, but it is a good way to draw the user's attention to
> the blank and required field.

I agree also. I'll try to see if I can do something about this.

> 2) I think we should we prompt the user before saving over an existing
> bookmark.

Currently, you can't use a bookmark name already used by this user on this
DB. Do you mean that we should authorize to overwrite a name if the user
agree?

> Otherwise, very nice job Hugues.

Thanks a lot ! :)

Hugues.