[Phpmyadmin-devel] central columns list and synching

Smita kumarismita62 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 21:25:57 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 10:44 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:

> Hi Smita,
>
> I was under the impression that the central list of columns would be
> authoritative, regarding the column attributes. Currently, it seems that
> the table itself has priority.
>
> For example, if a column is described in the central list as being
> VARCHAR(40), and the same column name exists in a table, but with
> VARCHAR(45), I would expect a sync operation to adjust the column's size
>   to the "official" 40. On the contrary, the central list is modified
> when doing the sync.

Hi Marc,
In my opinion, changing type without user consent is not a good idea. there
might be a case that, in one table let say 'id' field needs INT but in
another table which expected to have lot more rows will need field 'id' to
be of type BIGINT. So in this case if system changes BIGINT to INT, it
would be big problem. If I understood you correctly.

Or, am I mistaken with the goal of the sync feature?

I think my understanding of the problem [0] is somewhat different from what
you have understood. What I understood from the problem that some of the
already existing columns from the database, we keep in a central list. and
then while making a new table or adding a new column to a existing table,
from the central list we can pick a column using option on UI which
autopopulate all the fields for new column being added. So if there is
already a existing column let say 'product_id', while adding new similar
column in some table user won't use prod_id or something similar with
different attributes, they can just select 'product_id' from central list.
It also saves user from filling all the necessary fields.
So in my implementation Syncing a table meant: just adding columns with
unique attributes ( not matching with any other column in central list ) of
that table in the central list.

Please let me know if I'm interpreting the problem[0] wrongly.

[0] http://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/1477/