[Phpmyadmin-devel] #4536 - master: import problem (PMA_String)

Hugues Peccatte hugues.peccatte at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 20:16:42 CEST 2014

Hi everyone,

It seems that since that commit [1], the master is quite slow to import
data.
This seems to be linked to multi-bytes functions that are really slower
compared to standard string functions.

I tried several variants of this, but without a good result: instead of
always using PMA_StringMB, try to detect encoding and so use
PMA_StringNative when possible.
To improve this, I cached the encoding, to avoid to detect it each time.
See [2] (this is not totally safe, here, for the tests, I removed the mb_*
detection).
But the result is not as good as beforeā€¦
I also tried something more experimental: convert all the strings used in
PMA_String to UTF-8 string and so, mb_* functions won't convert anymore.
But it is not effective either.

Do you have any idea about the way to improve it please?
I thought about generalising the strpos to a strallpos/strposall (for
redundant strpos) with an explicit encoding, not to let PHP convert each
time.

Thanks for your help,

[1] https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/commit/9b77d746aba
[2]