[Phpmyadmin-devel] #4536 - master: import problem (PMA_String)

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Sun Sep 21 03:05:26 CEST 2014

Le 2014-09-20 14:16, Hugues Peccatte a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> It seems that since that commit [1], the master is quite slow to import
> data.
> This seems to be linked to multi-bytes functions that are really slower
> compared to standard string functions.
>
> I tried several variants of this, but without a good result: instead of
> always using PMA_StringMB, try to detect encoding and so use
> PMA_StringNative when possible.
> To improve this, I cached the encoding, to avoid to detect it each time.
> See [2] (this is not totally safe, here, for the tests, I removed the
> mb_* detection).
> But the result is not as good as before…
> I also tried something more experimental: convert all the strings used
> in PMA_String to UTF-8 string and so, mb_* functions won't convert
> anymore. But it is not effective either.
>
> Do you have any idea about the way to improve it please?
> I thought about generalising the strpos to a strallpos/strposall (for
> redundant strpos) with an explicit encoding, not to let PHP convert each
> time.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> [1] https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/commit/9b77d746aba
> [2] https://github.com/Tithugues/phpmyadmin/commit/ab6f493449d90e58bd4caa15740d8364c7fd4247
>
> Hugues.

Hi Hugues,

I have not looked deep into this logic, so it seems that you've become
the expert here in these matters.

Taking into account that the current master is not acceptable for a
4.3.0-alpha release, I see a few choices:

- remove the mb modifications from the import logic

- remove the current parser from the import logic, therefore removing
support for things like a custom delimiter and probably other things
(import of compressed files?)

- delay 4.3.0 until we find the correct solution with mb

--
Marc Delisle | phpMyAdmin