[Phpmyadmin-devel] Regarding Feature request: #532 Multiple DB sql query

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 16:48:41 CET 2015

On 2/17/15 9:09 AM, Rakesh Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
> This is about a feature request
> <https://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/532/> for
> choosing database(s) to apply a sql query.I think we should add a
> drop-down near (aside clear/format buttons) query box for same.
> But this can be a problem if the user have access to thousand number of
> databases.

I'm not really in favor of this, though my opinion is not strong on the
matter. I think it's adding clutter to the user interface for a feature
few users will need; besides there are several ways of accomplishing
basically the same although with perhaps an extra click or two. For
instance, "Show this query here again" is persistent if changing
databases; there's also the possibility to bookmark a query or simply
copy and paste code. While I see how it could be useful to some users
some of the time, I would vote no.

> So,One of the solution I thought would be to keep it under configuration
> file for showing it or not and another solution can be by simply
> limiting number of databases (say 10) for showing the same.
> However it can increase some work for the user so I need suggestions for
> it's implementation.
> Thanks and Regards.

I'm against adding a configuration option about whether to show it; I
might be willing to add one to configure how many databases to show (in
which case we might make 0 "hide this option entirely").