[Phpmyadmin-devel] Codebase Improvements: OOP and refactoring

Amar Budhiraja amar.budhiraja1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 15:17:38 CET 2015

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Atul Pratap Singh <
atulpratapsingh05 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 Feb 2015 19:19, "Isaac Bennetch" <bennetch at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Amar,
> >
> > On 2/21/15 12:56 AM, Amar Budhiraja wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I am a junior undergraduate student in India and I wanted to start in
> > > the direction of the project Codebase Improvements: OOP and
> refactoring.
> > >
> > > I have done a similar project for a Software Engineering course in my
> > > own university where I worked on a "working" Teaching Fellows
> > > Applications portal. The portal was built using an MVC framework:
> > > web2py. The goal of the project was to refactor the entire system to
> > > meet code standards and divide the codebase into logical components and
> > > classes to make it more readable and easy to extend.
> > >
> > > Relevant to the project, my skill set includes PHP, HTML/CSS and JS. I
> > > have with codeigniter framework to develop a project which gave a good
> > > experience of OBJECT ORIENTED PHP as well.
> > >
> > > I am fairly new to open source development and I would highly
> appreciate
> > > if someone could give me directions as to where should I start.
> >
> > Welcome. Have you seen
> > https://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Category:Google_Summer_of_Code_2015 ?
>
> Plus, relevant the OOPing idea, you may want to take time to look into the
> codebase and try contributing through pull requests some proof of concept,
> initial refactoring or OOPing.

I was looking in the same direction in the codebase. However, is there any
particular code fragment that may be, you would like to assign to me. May
be something that has relatively lesser dependencies to help me get started?

>  About broader MVC movement, there has been some initial discussion on a
> thread in this mailing, as of now just about the suitable framework, so you
> may want to see that as well if you plan to propose a MVC directed idea..

I just read through the archives about the idea. From what I gather, I
think, it will most suitable to come up with some sort of architectural
design first, may be UML and then refactor the codebase on those guidelines
and then finally integrate it as an MVC architecture. However, it sounds
like it may take a little while.

> --
> Regards
>
> Atul Pratap Singh