[Phpmyadmin-devel] Regarding ticket #946 Warn before changing collations

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 00:19:20 CET 2015

On 3/6/15 4:29 PM, Pranav Sharma wrote:
> Hi phpmyadmin,
> I am an aspiring gsoc participant. I have already devised solutions
> regarding Feature Request Project Enhancements. However to fully
> understand some of them, I will need to recreate the present scenarios
> of some of the Feature Requests. For instance, Can i be given a use-case
> where changing collation changes the data? I have tried creating my own
> table and changing the column collations only to find my data intact. If
> you could present to me a step wise use-case, then i could better
> understand the problem and write a solution strategy.
> Thanks,
> Pranav

Hello Pranav, and thanks for your interest. I'm not sure whether this
problem exists anymore; I just tried to recreate it and I also don't
experience any corruption of my data.

It sounds like you've done it correctly; the steps to reproduce used to
be creating a column with a particular collation, inserting text, and
then changing the collation for that column, causing the data to
seemingly change. As Marc noted in the tracker, it only applies when
changing the actual column, not database or table collations. Anyway, at
this point I can't reproduce it and may need to close the ticket
depending on any further input from the other developers.

Thanks
~isaac