[Phpmyadmin-devel] Non-configuration local settings in Page-related settings

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Sun May 17 21:21:02 CEST 2015

Le 2015-05-17 09:34, Nisarg Jhaveri a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> One part of RFE for Page-related settings says the following.
> "There are also other ways to set options. In Browse, we have Options,
> and other remembered settings like column visibility, column sorting and
> order of display. I am not sure if these mechanisms should be integrated
> or not to the new way."
>
> I've been thinking about this and now I am confused about its usefulness
> and implementation. Here is what I think.
>
> These kind of options are accessible directly from where they are used.
> For example, column sorting is just clicking on the column header. Which
> is intuitive enough and easily accessible. I don't think we need another
> place to manage those. IMHO, it would be just useless.

Agreed.

> Since, these settings are integrated in UI, to have their other
> not-integrated form seems a little difficult. For example, multiple
> column sorting is easily shown in the header of table with priority
> numbers, but to have it somewhere else, we'll have to think of some
> other form to show and edit this settings.
>
> The type and UI will be quite different for each such option. We can't
> unify them that easily.
>
> Also, sometimes, they are location specific even in one page, so having
> them in a global page settings doesn't make much sense. To overcome
> this, we can multiple instances of settings in the page, but that would
> be just as same as existing techniques.

Right. So the page-related settings should not be specific to one item
(column, table, database, etc). For example, setting a column's
visibility or hiding/unhiding a table should not be in the page-related
settings.

However, in table Browse, I should be able to access Settings > Main
panel > Browse mode.

> Any thoughts about this are much appreciated. Should we do this? How
> should we do this? What settings can possibly be added?
>
> Sorry for a long mail, but I'm a little confused and would like some help.
>
> Thanks,
> Nisarg

Marc Delisle | phpMyAdmin