[Phpmyadmin-devel] Regarding RFE #701

Deven Bansod devenbansod.bits at gmail.com
Mon May 25 17:25:30 CEST 2015

​Hi,
​
​Thanks for the reply.​

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for my delayed response; it's a holiday weekend here and I was
> away from the internet all day yesterday.
>
> On 5/23/15 6:29 AM, Deven Bansod wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > RFE #701 proposes that we should replace the 'Print View' and 'Print
> > View (with Full Texts)' with a 'Print View' Option which should print
> > out the CSS of the page only (i.e. whatever exactly is currently
> > displayed on the page itself).
> >
> > /I had something in mind about the implementation, but am not able to
> > figure some details. Any help in this regard would be appreciated. /
>
> My first thought when I saw the initial feature request years ago was to
> make a print view stylesheet (such as [0])that hides the navigation
> frame, menu bar, etc. At the time, that wasn't a viable option because
> of the frameset, but with the move to a single page for display it might
> be possible now. I did not test whether this would actually work for us,
> but if it does the "Print" button can simply become a javascript
> function to tell the browser to print rather than opening a whole new
> plain-formatted page with different rendering. For me, this certainly
> would be the preferred method if it works.

​Thanks for the link. I will look into it and explore.​

> > *Details of implementation:*
> > On clicking the 'Print View' link, it will call a click-handler JQuery
> > function which will get the HTML for the table from the current page,
> > traverse through the HTML.
> >
> > Then, make a JSON of relevant information such as SQL Query, No. of
> >  Rows, Column Heads and then arrays of values in each row *for SQL
> > results* and information such as Table Name, Rows, Type, Collation,
> > Size, Overhead, Comment for *db_structure.php and tbl_structure.php*.
>
> This seems like quite an original idea, I like it so far.
>
> > Now, send a POST Request to a PHP file and get the $response
> > (PMA_Response) after making a output with good-looking table and other
> > details and the 'Print' Button.
> >
> > The main problem I am facing here is that, how should I output the
> > $response ?
> >
> > I thought of a very-unlike-PMA way:
> > Open a new tab with JS and add HTML to it as
> >
> >     var w = window.open();
> >
> >     $(w.document.body).html($html);
>
> I don't see a problem with that.
>
> > ​But here I guess there will be difficulty to use PMA_Response with its
> > headers(and do I actually need to use PMA_Response or can I just print
> > the $html_output recieved from PHP file).
>
> For print view, avoiding PMA_Response might be okay, especially since I
> don't see a way to do it with the code you've proposed above.
>
> > or Can I somehow use 'target="print_view" ' and get the $response to be
> > shown onto it ?
>
> Hopefully someone else has some thought on this because if it's
> possible, I don't know off hand.
>
> > Also, please suggest any flaws/ possible problems that I may have missed
> > or if you would suggest a different way.
>
> I don't see any shortcomings or obstacles that you haven't already
> addressed; the javascript code to add HTML makes sense and so
> on...processing should be fast since we already have the data and are
> just passing it around as JSON.
>
> I'd love if some other developer has additional thoughts, but so far it
> sounds pretty good to me.

​Thanks for your insight. I have worked out a few things on this lines,
will submit a pull request soon and then you can review it.​

I am currently using target attribute of form tag. It is deprecated in HTML4
but is re-introduced in HTML5. Till now working fine. Will update you in
the PR.

> > Thanks.
>
> 0 -
>
> http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/11/24/how-to-set-up-a-print-style-sheet/