[phpMyAdmin Developers] Removing plugins

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 16:26:07 CEST 2015

As you may recall from the last IRC meeting, I'm working on testing and
documentation around issue #6137 [0] by removing some
features/plugins/libraries and testing/documenting my success.

So far I've had good luck with removing some things (for instance
tcpdf), but I've discovered two noteworthy problems.

1) When js/jqplot/ is removed, "Status -> Query statistics" does not
fail gracefully, it instead offers to submit a report to the error
reporting server.

2) when libraries/gis/ is removed, "Visulize GIS data" does not fail
gravefully, instead it gets stuck on saying "Loading..."

In comparison, something that degrades very well is the removal of
tcpdf; if the pdf library is missing the export dialog simply doesn't
show PDF as an export type.

So my question is what you think we should do about this -- this is
clearly beyond the scope of what is normally expected; it's not normal
for a user to remove libraries and code, but in order for this feature
request to be improved I think the code should handle this better.
Should we spend time on this?

0 - https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/issues/6137