[phpMyAdmin Developers] Removing plugins

Atul Pratap Singh atulpratapsingh05 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 06:37:44 CEST 2015

On 18 October 2015 at 19:56, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com> wrote:

> As you may recall from the last IRC meeting, I'm working on testing and
> documentation around issue #6137 [0] by removing some
> features/plugins/libraries and testing/documenting my success.
>
> So far I've had good luck with removing some things (for instance
> tcpdf), but I've discovered two noteworthy problems.
>
> 1) When js/jqplot/ is removed, "Status -> Query statistics" does not
> fail gracefully, it instead offers to submit a report to the error
> reporting server.
>
> Additionally, query profiling, zoom search, display chart etc. should also
throw error.

> 2) when libraries/gis/ is removed, "Visulize GIS data" does not fail
> gravefully, instead it gets stuck on saying "Loading..."
>
> In comparison, something that degrades very well is the removal of
> tcpdf; if the pdf library is missing the export dialog simply doesn't
> show PDF as an export type.
>
> So my question is what you think we should do about this -- this is
> clearly beyond the scope of what is normally expected; it's not normal
> for a user to remove libraries and code, but in order for this feature
> request to be improved I think the code should handle this better.
> Should we spend time on this?
>
> I also think that we should reconsider formally guiding/encouraging users
to manually remove files. Even if we go on to change code at various places
- such that things exit gracefully on code removals - it seems less than a
formal solution, which ought to be a plugin system to make less used
features detachable/reloadable; until then we can leave this issue
unresolved.

--
Regards

Atul