[phpMyAdmin Developers] MySQL 5.7 Features

Morgan Tocker morgan.tocker at oracle.com
Wed Sep 2 20:16:53 CEST 2015

> On Aug 28, 2015, at 2:40 PM, Morgan Tocker <morgan.tocker at oracle.com> wrote:
>
>>> They may ask for a bug to be filed on bugs.php.net so it can be
>>> tracked.  I did a quick search and it doesn’t seem like one has been
>>> reported yet.  Did you want the honours of filing?
>>
>> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=70384

I have a followup workaround suggestion for this bug.  JSON data can be cast as a string type on extraction:

select id, CAST(jsoncol as CHAR)  from marctable;

While I trust that the bug will be fixed, there is obviously some lag in users upgrading their PHP versions.  So I wonder if it is preferable to implement the workaround or conditional checking for a specific PHP version >= fix version?

(Best for you to determine obviously!)

- Morgan