[phpMyAdmin Developers] About contributing to the phpMyAdmin Community

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 15:13:41 CET 2016

Hello,

On 2/6/16 5:07 AM, Buddhi Vikasitha wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm Buddhi Vikasitha, an undergraduate of the Department of Computer
> Science and Engineering at University of Moratuwa.
>
> I thought about contributing to major projects while doing my studies at
> the university. Searching for some potential opportunities to work, I
> saw that you offer student developers to work with your projects. Also
> there was the link to GSoC 2016 project details.
>
> I was very happy you have programs for students. I would like to know
> and join if there is any more programs offered for students than letting
> us contribute by code. But even with contributing to the phpMyAdmin
> Community I have a lot to know yet.

What exactly do you have in mind? There are many ways you can contribute
that aren't writing code. You could help test/verify issue reports, help
answer questions on Stack Overflow, write tutorials, or translate
phpMyAdmin in to your language as a few ideas. We don't run any official
programs like GSoC for non-coding contributions, but we still welcome
those contributions as well.

> Can I know some answers to my questions? About how can I get started,
> what kind of work is there, and how can I contribute to your projects,
> how to get to know your people from here, etc. is what need to know. A

Getting to know people will be mostly just communicating on the mailing
list. The rest sort of depends on what you're interested -- as I
mentioned, there are several ways to get involved without contributing
code, but it will depend on what interests you.

> more detailed explanation than the webpage is what I seek for. At GSoC
> 2016 I am more than happy to contribute to you because contributing to a

As far as I am aware, GSoC is limited to actual application code due to
Google's guidelines.

> major project in the world is what I am going achieve these days. I need
> information about the above points if you are happy to provide them.
>
> Hope you get back to me with a reply to this. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Isaac

P.S. you might wish to subscribe to the mailing list so that you get any
further responses to your message.