[phpMyAdmin Developers] Schedule for 4.6

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 05:28:13 CET 2016

On 2/7/16 4:55 PM, Madhura Jayaratne wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 2:41 AM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com
> <mailto:bennetch at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On 2/4/16 9:30 AM, Michal Čihař wrote:
>     > Hi
>     >
>     > looking at the milestones [1] and remembering past discussions, we
>     > should be getting ready for releasing 4.6. It's planned for release in a
>     > month, so it's about time to do feature freeze...
>     >
>     > Do we want to keep this schedule? If so, I suggest branching QA_4_6 soon.
>     >
>     > [1]:https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/milestones
>

> I am also fine with a feature freeze.
>

>     I'm okay with a feature freeze, but I think there are several bugs that
>     are still blocking 4.6.
>
>     What do you think? I think there are enough features and fixes that we
>     should release 4.6 relatively soon.
>
>     My suggestion is that we should use the milestone for issues that are
>     blockers for the release, for instance I'd like to add the 4.6.0
>     milestone to https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/issues/11916 so
>     that we can see at a glance that the issue needs to be fixed before the
>     release.
>

> The issue looks to me like a bug and will be fixed despite the feature
> freeze.
>

>     This is a bit of a change from how we've been using milestones
>     which has -generally- been only to mark an issue after it's been fixed.
>

> I also like this approach of using milestones
>

>     Does the release of 4.6 mean there will be no 4.5.4, or do we plan to
>     support 4.5 for some time after the release of 4.6?
>
>  You probably meant 4.5.5? Looking at the expected dates set for
> milestones in [1], 4.5.5 is due on February 22nd while 4.6 is due on
> March 1st. So, I guess we will have a 4.5.5 and I do not see a need to
> do further releases from QA_4_5 branch.

Yes, I meant 4.5.5. I can do 4.5.5 later in the month and prepare for
4.6. If there is no further discussion, I'll expect to release 4.6.0-rc1
later this week. Please take a look at my draft of the release notes at
https://github.com/phpmyadmin/data/blob/master/notes_for_feature_releases/4.6.0.txt
and let me know (or edit directly) if you have any suggestions.

Double-checking about branches, as part of the -rc release I'll create a
new branch QA_4_6 which will be a branch off of current master (this
part does not look scripted). As part of the 4.5.5 release, I'll branch
MAINT_4_5_5 off of the current QA_4_5, and QA_4_5 will eventually get
deleted. Finally, note that tags are not created for -rc releases.