[phpMyAdmin Developers] Schedule for 4.6

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Mon Feb 8 09:35:30 CET 2016

Hi

Dne 8.2.2016 v 05:28 Isaac Bennetch napsal(a):

> On 2/7/16 4:55 PM, Madhura Jayaratne wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 2:41 AM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com
>> <mailto:bennetch at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     On 2/4/16 9:30 AM, Michal Čihař wrote:
>>     > Hi
>>     >
>>     > looking at the milestones [1] and remembering past discussions, we
>>     > should be getting ready for releasing 4.6. It's planned for release in a
>>     > month, so it's about time to do feature freeze...
>>     >
>>     > Do we want to keep this schedule? If so, I suggest branching QA_4_6 soon.
>>     >
>>     > [1]:https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/milestones
>>

>> I am also fine with a feature freeze.

Okay, let's do it! The branch QA_4_6 is now there.

>>     I'm okay with a feature freeze, but I think there are several bugs that
>>     are still blocking 4.6.
>>
>>     What do you think? I think there are enough features and fixes that we
>>     should release 4.6 relatively soon.
>>
>>     My suggestion is that we should use the milestone for issues that are
>>     blockers for the release, for instance I'd like to add the 4.6.0
>>     milestone to https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/issues/11916 so
>>     that we can see at a glance that the issue needs to be fixed before the
>>     release.
>>

>> The issue looks to me like a bug and will be fixed despite the feature
>> freeze.
>>

>>     This is a bit of a change from how we've been using milestones
>>     which has -generally- been only to mark an issue after it's been fixed.
>>

>> I also like this approach of using milestones

Marking open issues which we should fix for release is good approach.
I've already marked some things such.

>>     Does the release of 4.6 mean there will be no 4.5.4, or do we plan to
>>     support 4.5 for some time after the release of 4.6?
>>
>>  You probably meant 4.5.5? Looking at the expected dates set for
>> milestones in [1], 4.5.5 is due on February 22nd while 4.6 is due on
>> March 1st. So, I guess we will have a 4.5.5 and I do not see a need to
>> do further releases from QA_4_5 branch.
>
> Yes, I meant 4.5.5. I can do 4.5.5 later in the month and prepare for
> 4.6. If there is no further discussion, I'll expect to release 4.6.0-rc1
> later this week.

Doing 4.5.5 sounds like a good idea. There are some fixes in the QA_4_5
branch. Also I think we've started quite late with feature freeze, so
maybe we can adjust 4.6 release to monthly schedule as well? So how
about shifting it to 22nd March?

> Please take a look at my draft of the release notes at
> https://github.com/phpmyadmin/data/blob/master/notes_for_feature_releases/4.6.0.txt
> and let me know (or edit directly) if you have any suggestions.

Looks okay to me.

> Double-checking about branches, as part of the -rc release I'll create a
> new branch QA_4_6 which will be a branch off of current master (this
> part does not look scripted). As part of the 4.5.5 release, I'll branch
> MAINT_4_5_5 off of the current QA_4_5, and QA_4_5 will eventually get
> deleted. Finally, note that tags are not created for -rc releases.

That sounds pretty much correct. I've created the QA_4_6 branch right
now. I'm not sure if we want to start with -rc or rather -alpha now...