[phpMyAdmin Developers] Relating phpMyAdmin release versions with library versions

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 15:17:39 CET 2016

Hi, I have a question about library version numbers when we perform a
release of phpMyAdmin.

For example, in composer.json we currently require sql-parser 3.3 or
newer, which is good, because then any newer fixes get incorporated on
release without needing to constantly chase the version in composer.json.

However, if someone is testing with release 4.6.0-rc2 and we fix
something in sql-parser, a developer checking out the git tag
RELEASE_4_6_0RC2 will get the updated sql-parser. It seems the only way
to test with the sql-parser version included in a release is to actually
download the released tarball, whereas in the past we were able to
simply checkout the corresponding git tag. It feels like a workaround
instead of a solution, but I'm not sure that we can realistically do
anything to improve it.

Furthermore, the demo servers will always be running the most up-to-date
sql-parser release, even when the corresponding release has an older
version (at least, updated as often as pma-demo-update is called), so
asking a user to test against the demo server takes on a slightly
different meaning when debugging.

Does this sound right, and is it really anything to worry about in the
scheme of things? Or am I getting concerned about a minor thing?

Thanks
Isaac