[phpMyAdmin Developers] Relating phpMyAdmin release versions with library versions

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Wed Mar 2 15:22:26 CET 2016

Hi

Dne 2.3.2016 v 15:17 Isaac Bennetch napsal(a):
> Hi, I have a question about library version numbers when we perform a
> release of phpMyAdmin.
>
> For example, in composer.json we currently require sql-parser 3.3 or
> newer, which is good, because then any newer fixes get incorporated on
> release without needing to constantly chase the version in composer.json.
>
> However, if someone is testing with release 4.6.0-rc2 and we fix
> something in sql-parser, a developer checking out the git tag
> RELEASE_4_6_0RC2 will get the updated sql-parser.

Not really, we're still using embedded copies in 4.6, this has been
changed to composer for master only so far.

> It seems the only way
> to test with the sql-parser version included in a release is to actually
> download the released tarball, whereas in the past we were able to
> simply checkout the corresponding git tag. It feels like a workaround
> instead of a solution, but I'm not sure that we can realistically do
> anything to improve it.
>
> Furthermore, the demo servers will always be running the most up-to-date
> sql-parser release, even when the corresponding release has an older
> version (at least, updated as often as pma-demo-update is called), so
> asking a user to test against the demo server takes on a slightly
> different meaning when debugging.
>
> Does this sound right, and is it really anything to worry about in the
> scheme of things? Or am I getting concerned about a minor thing?

The released version will contain composer.lock file with information
about which versions were shipped in the release, so that can be easily
tracker. However using git tag it will indeed get by default most up to
date version.