[phpMyAdmin Developers] Slack channel for phpmyadmin

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 17:08:51 CET 2017

Hi,

On 3/1/17 3:00 AM, Manish Bisht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have on suggestion. Can someone from the core team can create the
> slack channel for phpmyadmin. It's the better place to communicate with
> other Developers compared to IRC.

This is definitely something I've thought about. Slack is very much the
go-to solution for team collaboration right now and has a lot of
features that would help us out.

However, there are a few downsides. One is the pricing; especially for
GSoC hopefuls who would like to participate in discussion it would be an
unfair burden to require them to pay the Slack fee and likewise, I don't
think the project is interested in funding such an expense either.

I do like the ability to catch up on chat conversations that occurred
while a user was offline, but aside from that I don't see a big
advantage over the mailing list and IRC for occasional realtime chats.

This is just my opinion,
Isaac