[phpMyAdmin Developers] GSoC

Deven Bansod devenbansod.bits at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 11:42:22 CET 2018

Hi Piyush,

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 7:41 PM, Piyush Vijay
<piyushvijay.1997 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Thanks for you kind reply.
> I want to know some of the details about the idea. Do we have to implement
> new javascript features into the codebase or we have to shift the existing
> codebase on yarn package manager with package dependencies with modern
> javascript like ES6 by using babel compiler as the existing code is written
> in vanilla js.

As we have mentioned in the idea description, it's main focus is
introduction of a package manager for managing JS dependencies in
phpMyAdmin. Whilst we are doing that, we would like to
restructure/revamp our current JS codebase into a more modular one. I
tend to believe that they'll go better hand-in-hand, but feel free to
correct me if you find something markedly different in your research.

Currently we have all functions, variables etc. exposed to the global
scope, which we would like to move away from. This, we believe, would
make it more easier to develop and maintain (and may also allow for
possibility of unit testing some parts of JS code later).

This, in turn, would also allow us to consider (or may even warrant us
to) using modern bundling tools like webpack/Browserify too.

Clearly, there are multiple sub-ideas mentioned in the description
related to this idea, that you can pickup, research on their
feasibility for our current codebase and include them in your
proposal. We have given a fairly elaborate idea of things that we
ideally want to achieve, but we would really love to hear what you
think you can accomplish in the twelve weeks and what do you think is
most feasible for our codebase in its current present form.

Hope this clears some of the doubts.

Thanks.

Regards,
Deven Bansod