[phpMyAdmin Developers] Usage of mix-blend-mode

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 21:09:23 CEST 2018

Since no one else has chimed in, and since it's my project to mentor,
I'll add my two cents:

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 5:27 AM, Saksham Gupta <shucon01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am working on the theme generator project and I'm facing a problem
> regarding contrast ratios of text colour and background. I way to solve this
> issue is by using mix-blend-mode, but according to
> https://caniuse.com/#feat=css-mixblendmode , there are still compatibility
> issues. So should I go ahead with it, and if so, what should be the
> fallbacks?

Saksham and I discussed this a bit in chat, but to bring the
conversation back to email the summary of the current situation is
that he would like to allow the automated generation of some
contrasting text color picker as part of the theme generator. The CSS
functionality isn't fully supported by browsers yet.

After some discussion, I believe we've found a good solution. The user
will have the option to manually input these color values, and by
using the automated aspect we'll show a checkbox with a warning like
"Enabling this will use some CSS features that may not be supported in
all browsers. See https://caniuse.com/#feat=css-mixblendmode for
details." The shortcoming only affects Microsoft IE and Edge, and
Opera browsers.

In the future, we can remove the warning when the other browsers
finish adding support for this functionality.