[phpMyAdmin Developers] The phpMyAdmin repo on GitHub is a Dev (uninstalled) version. Thus many files are NOT even there. How do we commit fixes to THOSE missing files?

Angelo Grebenarov grebenarov at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 03:47:52 CEST 2021

Hi all,

I have a lot of experience with PHP/MySQL but not much with Git. I figure
this question should be an easy one for you but I can't figure it out and
would really appreciate your answer(s).

Here is my question:

I've downloaded and installed phpMyAdmin from Git using the "composer
update" and "yarn install --production" commands. The installation was fine
and *I fixed a bug that happens to be in the \themes\pmahomme\css\theme.css
file*. So far so good but when I tried "commit"-ing the change it turns out
the file *theme.css* in NOT EVEN THERE on the original GitHub master repo,
due to - (of course) it's NOT installed and the \themes\pmahomme\css\
folder is actually empty (no files at all there).

-- How can I commit a change to theme.css if theme.css is not even there in
master?

-- Also: I forked the master repo to MY GitHub account and then cloned it
down to my local machine. *Now do I commit DIRECTLY TO
phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin -> master?* (Different places have that information
differently - some do NOT mention I need to fork - but suggest cloning
directly from "master" - I wanted to know ONE CORRECT WORKING WAY of the
whole procedure.)

I would really appreciate your answers to the (what turned out to be) 2
questions.

Thank you,

Angelo Grebenarov