[Phpmyadmin-devel] howto

Marc Delisle Delislma at CollegeSherbrooke.qc.ca
Thu Aug 15 05:23:02 CEST 2002

Robin Johnson wrote:

> Hi List.
>
> Marc Delisle wrote:
>  > It's time for a /docs directory, with smaller documents.
>  > Someone (Robin?) suggested to use XML or DocBook format.
>  >
>  > The only thing I will regret is searching with the browser in
>  > Documentation.html.  Another idea was to put the doc in a table located
>  > in the pmadb, and we integrate a small search engine.  But this would
>  > not be good as users would need the doc to install the doc :)
>  >
>  > Maybe a splitted doc and a well-made index would make me happy :)
>
> Here is my proposal:
> We start a seperate directory in the CVS for the documentation, and
> inside it we have the master files in XML format, plus the scripts to
> build the HTML/PDF formats.
>
> We will still be generating a big Documentation.html file, but our
> sources will be seperated to make for easier editing. There will be a
> Documentation version where the sections are split up as well. All
> generated from the same XML data.

Mike's point was that the resulting doc would be too big to load, if he
adds screenshots for QBE explanations. Does the new structure address
this problem?

Do you mean that we would not put the source doc directory in the
distribution kits?

Also, some images will be common between languages, some won't (i.e.
screenshots).