[Phpmyadmin-devel] howto

Robin Johnson robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
Thu Aug 15 19:35:01 CEST 2002

Marc Delisle wrote:
 > Robin Johnson wrote:
 >
 >> Hi List.
 >>
 >> Marc Delisle wrote:
 >>  > It's time for a /docs directory, with smaller documents.
 >>  > Someone (Robin?) suggested to use XML or DocBook format.
 >>  >
 >>  > The only thing I will regret is searching with the browser in
 >>  > Documentation.html.  Another idea was to put the doc in a table
 >> located
 >>  > in the pmadb, and we integrate a small search engine.  But this would
 >>  > not be good as users would need the doc to install the doc :)
 >>  >
 >>  > Maybe a splitted doc and a well-made index would make me happy :)
 >>
 >> Here is my proposal:
 >> We start a seperate directory in the CVS for the documentation, and
 >> inside it we have the master files in XML format, plus the scripts to
 >> build the HTML/PDF formats.
 >>
 >> We will still be generating a big Documentation.html file, but our
 >> sources will be seperated to make for easier editing. There will be a
 >> Documentation version where the sections are split up as well. All
 >> generated from the same XML data.
 > Mike's point was that the resulting doc would be too big to load, if he
 > adds screenshots for QBE explanations. Does the new structure address
 > this problem?
Define "too big to load", as I regularly load 10 meg HTML documents and use them
for reference (SGI technical publications).

The All on one page version of the MySQL documentation
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/full/
is 2.5 megabytes in size.

This is the point of having the HTML-split form, for those that don't want to
load a massive HTML page, and instead just use little pages.

 > Do you mean that we would not put the source doc directory in the
 > distribution kits?
Definetly not.

The only thing included with the main distribution will be a single copy of the
english documentation, for size reasons.

There will be additional download packages containing the documentation in other
  formats and languages.

 > Also, some images will be common between languages, some won't (i.e.
 > screenshots).
Actually, thinking about this, every screenshot will be per language, as we
don't have any graphical screens really. So we will just move those image/
directories to inside the language directories.