[Phpmyadmin-devel] Site management with phpMyAdmin - installer script?

Olivier M. qmail at orion.8304.ch
Tue Feb 12 07:20:04 CET 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 09:52:03AM -0500, Marc Delisle wrote:
> 3. If allowed, we use stduser (or another account) with added
> privileges, to enable
> the user to create databases (with username_ as prefix), and we give all
> privileges to
> this user on this database.  [...]

sounds interesting, but maybe also a bit complex to implement :)
In my case, when an user account (webhosting) is created on one of our
servers, everything is handled by "home made" scripts, creation
of db and mysql user setup as well, and I don't really see how
PMA could replace that. Let's see the other comments on the list :)

Something that would still be nice to have IMHA is a web-based
config.inc.php generator: an install.php3 which would ask
a few questions (type of auth, type of server: unix->socket, nt->tcp,
etc.) and then display the corresponding configuration.

Could then simply be cut'n'pasted by the user (or directely saved
if the chmod value is 0777, but maybe not so good...).
Target "market": PMA newcommers, because the doc is maybe not
yet really "newbie friendly" :)

There are other projects using such an web-based installer: for
example IMP or phpMyEdit if I recall correctely.

Greetings from sunny Switzerland :)
[ Zurich-Kloten, Switzerland (LSZH) 47-29N 008-32E 432M
  Temperature: 59 F (15 C), hey, we're in February! :) ]
Olivier