[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: Testings and opinions

Wolfram Schlich wolfram at schlich.org
Thu May 2 11:14:10 CEST 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 02:34:01PM +0000, Loïc wrote:
> >So why not just choose something which fits - say - 50% or
> >more of all users *by default* over something 100% of all
> >users have to set manually? I mean, I think I got the issue,
> >but IMHO it's worth thinking about it again.
>
> Don't forget one thing: we are the ones that receive most of
> the "help, I've got a problem" messages about phpMyAdmin.
> And it's quite easy to reply "he, he, you forgot to put the
> 'http' scheme in this setting", "this setting is case
> sensistive" or "why don't you use the dynamic way suggested
> in the documentation ;)" but it's really hard to guess which
> server variable is not defined the way it should and causes
> phpMyAdmin to fail.

Oh, well, it's not that hard. Just use one scheme, like
--8<--
$cfgPmaAbsoluteUri = (!empty($HTTPS) ? 'https' :
'http').'://'.$SERVER_NAME.(!empty($SERVER_PORT) ? ':'.$SERVER_PORT :
NULL).substr($SCRIPT_NAME, 0, strrpos($SCRIPT_NAME, '/') + 1);
--8<--
and add some code which moans in the actual default manner when
one of the vars is missing/empty/garbled.

> Just think most of "rookies" won't change this variable if it
> contains "cryptic" variables they don't know anything about.
> And, of course, they won't be able to tell us before 10
> messages what are environment variables their server define.

Use another variable, e.g. $cfgPmaAbsoluteUri_User. If it's defined,
forget about $cfgPmaAbsoluteUri. Or something.

I'm also willing to help on this issue, so all the work won't be up to
you ;-)
--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Yours sincerely
Wolfram Schlich; Berghof, D-56626 Andernach-Kell; +49-(0)2636-941194;