[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: Registration / Installationstatisitics

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Thu Oct 13 08:35:12 CEST 2005

I merged two threads :-)

On Thu 13. 10. 2005 17:16, Sebastian Mendel wrote:
> Marc Delisle wrote:
> > I think that download stats about themes indicate correctly the
> > popularity. Besides, each user of a multi-user installation can
> > choose his theme, so you want each user to participate in the
> > registration?
>
> no, not really - only a 'installation'-registration

Well I'd forget this until we have setup script. You can then easily add
this as part of installation, however right now it will be more
annoying:

On Thu 13. 10. 2005 17:14, Sebastian Mendel wrote:
> Michal Čihař wrote:
> > On Thu 13. 10. 2005 12:24, Sebastian Mendel wrote:
> >> this can be stored local, or at least a hash over all, to
> >> recognize changes and update registration
> >
> > stored where? in pmadb? this is currently only place where you can
> > save anything, but it is not enabled on most installations
>
> or just in a file (just test for write privilelgs, if not no error)

In most cases you can not write to file, so you will silently fail and
still offer registration?

> >>   - send security alerts on specific versions
> >
> > You can't handle this as vendors often backport security patches,
> > so you don't know whether version user has installed is really
> > vulnerable.
>
> alerts only on first time to 'registered' users with this version to
> given email adress - when the security alert comes the first the
> vendors will mostly not have applied any patch adressing this issue

Wrong, if you install some distribution, you will get patched version,
but it is usually not current one (especially "enterprise" distribution
release cycles are very long, so you might have 3 years old patched
version). This will only force vendors to disable such checks, you can
see how similar feature in Firefox is mostly disabled in distributions.

--
    Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com