[Phpmyadmin-devel] Usability problems in SVN trunk

Marc Delisle Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca
Thu Nov 20 16:48:07 CET 2008

Garvin Hicking a écrit :
> Hi!
>
>> $cfg['InitialSlidersState'] string
>> If set to 'closed', the visual sliders are initially in a closed
>> state. A value of 'open' does the reverse.
>
> Ah, perfect - that does the job for me. Would be nice to have that in the setup
> script, but I think that this is being reworked already, right?

I'm not sure. Maybe Piotr can answer.

>> But to confirm your point, we got another feedback that it's not a good
>> idea to hide something if it's already at the bottom of screen.

I meant, hiding a section like Indexes which is already at the bottom.

> I'd definitely suggest to make it default to "open".

I don't agree, this would defeat the purpose of these sliders, since
most people do not change defaults.

> [Remembering Fulltext toggle in cookie
>> Yes, please provide us a patch ;)
>
> Okay, I'll try to make that work, and make an optional "cookie" value for
> InitialSlidersState, yes?

I meant a patch for the pixel problem. In general, we don't need more
cookies, we mostly need db-based user preferences.

>> The reasoning is that browsing a table is (probably) more common than
>> accessing the structure, and clicking on the table name is easier than clicking
>> on the small icon. But then, you have
>>
>> $cfg['LeftDefaultTabTable']  // for the icon
>> and $cfg['DefaultTabTable'] // for clicking on table name
>
> I agree about it maybe being more common for some users. But I disagree on
> having that as the default, because it really breaks the user's expectancy.
> phpMyadmin has been available for so long a time, so I don't really suggest to
> change expected things for clicks that provide no real benefit... :)

It provides a real benefit because me and others believe it's the most
common action for the most users. It's true that it breaks old users'
expectancy, we knew it would happen but for the future it's better this way.