[Phpmyadmin-devel] Transition to template-based framework

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Mon Mar 8 17:14:23 CET 2010

Hi

Dne Mon, 08 Mar 2010 09:07:27 +0100
Michael Keck <sfnet at michaelkeck.de> napsal(a):

> Yes, why not?
> But it would really help me, if developers leave comments, what is for
> output.
> My goal is to seperate PMA-function from html (-output). This will
> support more
> flexibility for layout and theming and perhabs to invide developers to make
> only php code and others the html-output.

This is definitely needed for long time, thanks for volunteering!

> But which should I use?
>
> I've found follow template engines, and I want to get little feeadback
> which would be right and good for us:
>
>     * TWIG
>       Link: http://www.twig-project.org/)
>       Info: it's made from the same peoples wich made Symfony.
>       What I say: It's really fast (see
>       http://fabien.potencier.org/article/34/templating-engines-in-php)

I don't know anything about most of them, but the syntax of Twig looks
same as Django uses and I use Django quite a lot these days (I
understand this is really not a big argument for a project written in
PHP :-))).

>     * Smarty
>       Link: http://www.smarty.net/
>       Info: The most known.
>       What I say: May be not a good choice. Marc gives me the link
>       http://www.nosmarty.net
>
> At my own, I think Symfony or Zend-Framework would be little overkill.

Well this website rather looks like it is against using separate
template system and prefers using full featured frameworks. It might be
not a bad idea, however it is much more work for us and because of this
I'd stay with separate template system, but possibly with some where
upgrade path to some framework would not be that hard.