[Phpmyadmin-devel] Beginner questions

Ninad Pundalik ninadsp16289 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 12:03:14 CEST 2010

Hi All,

The start of the GSoC coding period is just around the corner, and I
would like to start writing some useful code as soon as possible.  I
have a few questions before I start doing that though.  In my
proposal, I have mentioned one of my tasks as writing functions that
will wrap the output of AJAX requests in well-formed XML.  Over the
last few days, I have been trying to figure out how to do this.
Should I use output buffering at the start of an ajax request, read
the entire output buffer into a string variable and then construct
either a DOM or a SimpleXML object from that string when the request
ends?  Or, is there a better way of doing this?

Also, when I checked out the latest version from git, I could see that
a jQuery JSON plugin has been added in the js/jquery folder.  If this
plugin is being used, should the output for AJAX requests be in JSON
instead of XML?  I feel it would be a lot more easier to handle the
output in JSON rather than XML.

For the AJAX calls, do I use the jQuery's $.get/$.post/$.ajax methods
directly or should I build wrapper functions around them?

I found a plugin that makes it easy to handle a page with frames, the
jQuery FrameReady plugin [0].  Has anybody used this plugin with
phpMyAdmin (or in any other projects)?  It makes a lot of sense to use
this, as I had context issues when I was trying to write the patch for
paginating the table.

Last, where should I put all the jQuery scripts that will be written
over the next few weeks in the tree?  Should I keep it in a js/ajax
folder for the period of this summer, and then merge it later into the
js folder after the features have been sufficiently tested?

I guess that's a lot of questions!  Thank you for all the help :)

[0] - http://ideamill.synaptrixgroup.com/?p=6

Ninad S. Pundalik
Twitter: @ni_nad | Identica : @ninad | http://ninadpundalik.co.cc/blog
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2DF7 B856 C75E C9F9 0504 C0EF D456 1946 7C45 2C69