[Phpmyadmin-devel] ctype and mbstring dependencies

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 22:59:48 CEST 2013

On 8/21/13 3:59 PM, Michal Čihař wrote:
> Hi
>
> Dne Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:47:09 -0400
> Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):
>
>> Michal Čihař a écrit :
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I see that we've documented ctype and mbstring as dependencies, while
>>> we still have huge amount of code (PMA_String and related classes) to
>>> be able to handle situations when those are not available. This
>>
>> Hi Michal,
>> how do you explain bug #4036 if these situations are handled? [0]
>
> That's in php-gettext, what could be potentially workarounded (as we
> have all translations in utf-8). We have quite a lot of code to deal
> with absence of mbstring in PMA_String and related classes.
>
> The question is: Do we want to support systems without mbstring
> extension? If no, we can simplify quite a lot of our code, if yes, we
> should fix this single case for php-gettext.

My opinion is that the fewer requirements we have, the better,
especially since the code already exists. For now, mbstring is
non-default in PHP installations, so we can't assume a hosting provider
will provide it. I realize we can't always work towards the minimum
standards and may have to require it at some point in the future, but
for now I feel we should support non-mbstring systems. That being said,
I do realize it's more work for someone to maintain, but still think
it's the better solution right now.

Cheers