[Phpmyadmin-devel] Error reports

J. M. mynetx at users.sf.net
Fri Jul 5 20:12:37 CEST 2013

> From: mohamed.ashraf.213 at gmail.com
> Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 19:53:29 +0200
> To: phpmyadmin-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Phpmyadmin-devel] Error reports
>
> For the server side component of the error reporting system. What are
> the things you want to do with the reports. like for example comments,
> or storing status of the reports. what other things do think you would
> want to do on the error reporting server.

It would be useful to subscribe to single reports by mail.
The system would send a notification mail to all subscribers for a report,
whenever its status is updated, or a new comment is made, etc.

It might also be useful (though not a must) to have RSS feeds per report.

> What I am thinking is commenting, changing status, searching and of
> course viewing all the details of the report as well as related
> reports.

Do you plan for linking reports to other reports?
Like: "Related reports [add]"

Do report comments support inline syntax (preferably Markdown)?

> Do you want the ability to delete error reports or just mark them as
> resolved. and while we are on the matter what are the statuses that
> should exist for the error reports. I am thinking at least new and
> resolved but I cant think of anything else;

I suggest you to take a look at the statuses available in the bug tracker at SF.net:

open
pending
resolved
invalid
fixed (though not sure if that's === resolved)
duplicate
works-for-me
wont-fix
out-of-date

Marking them as resolved is fine (for archiving purposes),
I think we should be able to assign the version number in which we fix the bug.
In the bug tracker at SF, we do this by prefixing the subject with "(ok 4.x)",
but that's more of a workaround.

Don't want to put too many of my ideas on you, though.
Be creative, and try to think from the phpMyAdmin developers point of view,
as we are the ones who will be using the system! :)

- JM
phpMyAdmin team member