_ __ __ _ _ _
_ __ | |__ _ __ | \/ |_ _ / \ __| |_ __ ___ (_)_ __
| '_ \| '_ \| '_ \| |\/| | | | | / _ \ / _` | '_ ` _ \| | '_ \
| |_) | | | | |_) | | | | |_| |/ ___ \ (_| | | | | | | | | | |
| .__/|_| |_| .__/|_| |_|\__, /_/ \_\__,_|_| |_| |_|_|_| |_|
|_| |_| |___/ 2.2.0
phpMyAdmin 2.2.0 - 30. August 2001
A set of PHP-scripts to administrate MySQL over the WWW.
After 5 months, 5 beta releases and 4 release candidate versions,
the phpMyAdmin developers are pleased to announce the availability
of phpMyAdmin 2.2.0.
phpMyAdmin is intended to handle the administration of MySQL over
the Web. The project was started by Tobias Ratschiller in 1998,
and is now one of the most popular PHP script used worldwide.
(Un)fortunately, Tobias then stopped to work on phpMyAdmin last
year: the last version (2.1.0) was released on 6. August 2000. In
the mean time, there were many suggestions and good ideas around,
as well as a security advisory.
That is why on 31st March 2001, Olivier Müller (Switzerland),
supported by Marc Delisle (Québec), Loïc Chapeaux (France) and a
team of 8 other developers re-started the phpmyadmin project on
SourceForge.net, with the authorization of the original package
maintainer. And now, after 5 months of patches, bugfixes, new
features and testing, the version 2.2.0 is finally ready.
Available at http://phpmyadmin.sourceforge.net, it includes the
* Security fixes
* New languages: Thai, Swedish, Galician, Romanian, Slovak,
* Dynamic multiple language support, with automatic browser
* Improved documentation
* Better file import/export possibilities
* PEAR, CSS2 and XHTML 1.0 compliant (as far as possible)
* User and Database administration page
* Gzip and HTTP compression support
* Removed necessity of magic_quotes_gpc (autodetection)
* Bookmarks (sql queries) feature
* Database usage statistics
* Table maintenance features (repair, check, optimize)
* Maintained PHP3 compatibility
* Better BLOB support
* Table usage and row statistics
* Multiple table types
* Now backed by a full-time development team! :)
Detailed list of changes since version 2.1 is available under
This software is available under the GNU General Public License V2.0.
You can get the newest version at http://phpmyadmin.sourceforge.net/
Available file formats are: .zip, .tar.gz and .tar.bz2.
If you install phpMyAdmin on your system, it's recommended to
subscribe to the news mailing list by adding your address under
This way, you will be informed of new updates and security fixes.
It is a read only list, and traffic is not greater than a few
mail every year.
Support and Documentation
The documentation is included in the software package as text and
HTML file, but can also be downloaded from:
The software is provided as is without any express or implied
warranty, but there is a bugs tracker page under:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/ [click on "Bugs"]
In addition, there are also a number of discussion lists
related to phpMyAdmin. A list of mailing lists with archives
is available at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/ [click on "Lists"]
Finally, an users support forum is also available under:
There are still a few annoying but hard to fix bugs:
* some browsers (IE5.0, Mozilla 0.8+) doesn't like to play with
* importing csv data may fail under very perticular circumstances
* aliases in sql queries aren't yet well handled
* out of memory error, when trying to create a table with more
than 14 fields (check the FAQ)
To be informed about new releases fixing these problems, please
subscribe to the news mailing list under
or regularly check the sourceforge bugs tracker.
phpMyAdmin is intended to handle the administration of MySQL over the WWW.
Currently it can:
- create and drop databases
- create, copy, drop and alter tables
- delete, edit and add fields
- execute any SQL-statement, even batch-queries
- manage keys on fields
- load text files into tables
- create and read dumps of tables
- export and import CSV data
- support single- and multi-user configuration
- communicate in more than 20 different languages
Author & Copyright
Copyright (C) 1998-2000 Tobias Ratschiller <tobias_at_phpwizard.net>
Copyright (C) 2001- Marc Delisle <DelislMa_at_CollegeSherbrooke.qc.ca>
Olivier Müller <om_at_omnis.ch>
Loïc Chapeaux <lolo_at_phpHeaven.net>
Robin Johnson <robbat2_at_users.sourceforge.net>
Armel Fauveau <armel.fauveau_at_globalis-ms.com>
Geert Lund <glund_at_silversoft.dk>
Korakot Chaovavanich <korakot_at_iname.com>
Pete Kelly <webmaster_at_trafficg.com>
Steve Alberty <alberty_at_neptunlabs.de>
Benjamin Gandon <gandon_at_isia.cma.fr>
+ many other people (check the CREDITS file)
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
EOF -- Olivier Müller / 2001.08.30